Sunday, March 27, 2011

Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake











Today (Saturday) is mammy's bday and Josh wanted me to bake her a special treat so I tried a new recipe that came straight from Southern Living! Lol.... I can't take it as my own unfortunately. I NEVER try recipes from magazines b/c they are always too wordy and my peabrain usually never understands past the ingredients. Lol. Now sewing I can figure out but in the kitchen it MUST be easy and on a pre-K level! Lol.... So...when Josh says, "hey, make mammy this..." and hands me the magazine I immediately became flushed and saw stars b/c I was scared but...this is easy and from scratch but NOT healthy by ANY means or fashion! I guess you could substitute ingredients to make it healthy but who wants to do that!?

Ok, so here's the recipe...
Makes: 12 servings (unless ur like us, it makes 6! Lol )
Hands-on time: 25 min. (1 HR for me)
Total time: 2 HR 35 min ( well not me....more like...well u know)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of softened butter
3 cups of sugar
1 (8oz) package of softened cream cheese
6 large eggs ( I used locally grown eggs from a friend and OMG they r goooood)
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup strawberry glaze ( the magazine and myself recommend Marzetti Glaze for Strawberries)
1 (6") wooden skewer (I used my Pamphered Chef cake tester thingy)

Ok so here goes... You MUST not miss or alter a step! And I now realize why I need a standup mixer (not only b/c the recipe says I do which is a good enough excuse for me, but that my little 7 yr old mixer sounded like it was gonna die any minute as well as my arms and having to mix and "gradually add" ingredients.lol)...

1. Preheat oven to 350degrees. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer ( I swear this is exactly what it says!! Pg. 116 march edition of SL!) until creamy. Gradually add sugar bearing at med speed until light and fluffy. add cream cheese, beating until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, bearing just until blended after each addition.

2. Gradually add flour to butter mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition, stopping only to scrape the bowl as needed( or your arms fall off like mine did from my hand mixer). Stir in almond and vanilla extracts. Pour 1/3 of batter into a greased and floured 10" (14 cup, or just use a bunt pan like me) tube pan. Dollop 8 rounded tsps of strawberry glaze over batter and swirl w/ the skewer. Repeat procedure once and then top w/ remaining third of batter (I didn't do this right b/c my swirls weren't pretty but it tasted just as good!).

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 HR to 1 HR 10 min ( I did mine for 1 HR bottom rack 15 min top rack) test w/ your skewer until it comes out clean ( when u stick it in and nothing comes off on the skewer). Completely cool before removing it from the pan.

DONE!!! Easy peasy!!!! I topped it off w/ fresh strawberries and cool whip! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: